Holiday Season is upon us. This is a wonderful time of year filled with family, friends, parties and delicious food. However, it is the most difficult time of year to watch your weight, and make healthy choices. Here are some tips for staying on track through the season.
- Go for a long walk with your family before dinner starts. This is a great time to catch up with your loved ones and to burn some extra calories.
- If you’re leaving the comfort of your home this Thanksgiving, make sure to bring a healthy option with you. We have listed some great recipes below.
- If you’re hosting, set a good example and make even more healthy options! You don’t have to completely abandon all of your old family recipes, but at least add in a few new and healthy dishes.
- Drink a large glass of water before dinner. Quenching your thirst can prevent you from overeating.
- When filling your plate, be conscious. Fill half of the plate with vegetables, a quarter with protein, and leave enough room for a small portion of your favorite starches.
- Choosing a smaller plate can also help with portion control.
- Survey the desserts and figure out which is your favorite before taking pieces of everything.
- Treat yourself with a nice cup of tea or coffee rather than an extra dessert or alcoholic beverage.
- The unhealthy leftovers don’t have to haunt you all week. Give away or throw away the food you don’t want to have in your house tempting you all weekend.
- If you’re left with extra turkey, make it into a healthy soup filled with vegetables like celery, carrots, and onion. Or, add it to a salad.
Nutrition Counseling Services
Do you need help with making a healthy relationship with food, developing a plan for eating healthier, or weight loss? Food and Fitness Pro can help you. We have experience and expertise in all kinds of health disorders and are determined to help you find the right lifestyle to get you back to feeling healthy.