Nutrients are the essential substances that maintain our body’s health and provide nourishment to our cells as we change and grow over time. These substances keep us going from day-to-day, and aside from food being delicious, receiving nutrients is the main reason why living beings eat! If you are looking for a nutritionist on Long Island then Food & Fitness Pro is here for you!
There are two categories of nutrients. The first being macronutrients and the second being micronutrients. Both of these are equally as important to our overall health and the maintenance of our bodies. While choosing foods that look yummy and make our mouths water may seem like the best option, there are certain foods that we should attempt to gravitate toward in order to maintain optimal health. Our nutritionist on Long Island will be able to offer guidance and come up with a special meal plan in order for you to get more of the macro and micronutrients that your body needs!
What are Macronutrients?
You may be wondering what macronutrients are, but the truth is most of us eat them every single day. Macronutrients are these three groups of food: fat, protein and carbohydrates. Many people who go on diets will say they’re cutting down on carbs or fats, but in reality, these macronutrients are substances our bodies need in order to function properly and stay healthy. There are, however, some foods in these groups which are much more healthy than others.
Healthy Fats can be found in foods like cheese, nuts, seeds, avocados, certain fish and oils. These are considered unsaturated fats, which are healthier than saturated fats that you would find in certain bread, cakes, and other desserts.
Healthy Proteins can be found in foods like meats, fish, eggs, dairy, beans, nuts, soy, and tofu. Healthy Carbs can be found in foods like quinoa, oats, sweet potatoes, rice, bananas, corn, pumpkins, chickpeas, beans, and lentils.
So what are Micronutrients?
Micronutrients fall into a smaller category, but they are still essential in order to keep our bodies functioning properly. This category includes vitamins and minerals that we must retain from the foods that we eat since our bodies don’t create vitamins and minerals on their own. It’s extremely important to consume micronutrients from food or to take supplements in order to get these into your system. Our nutritionist on Long Island can help educate you on what nutrients you need to consume on a daily basis.
Within the micronutrient, the category is 4 more categories of water-soluble vitamins, fat-soluble vitamins, macro minerals, and trace minerals. These are all essential.
Water-Soluble Vitamins include:
- B1 (thiamine) – found in meat, fish, whole grains
- B2 (riboflavin) – found in eggs, milk
- B3 (niacin) – found in meat, fish, leafy greens
- B5 (pantothenic acid) – found in tuna, avocado, mushrooms
- B6 (pyridoxine) – found in fish, potatoes, carrots
- B7 (biotin) – found in eggs, almonds, sweet potatoes
- B9 (folate) – found in beef, spinach, asparagus
- B12 (cobalamin) – found in meat, fish
- C (ascorbic acid) – found in citrus fruits, peppers, brussels sprouts
Fat-Soluble Vitamins include:
- A – found in fish, dairy, spinach
- D – found in milk, fish oil, sunlight
- E – found in seeds, almonds
- K – found in leafy greens, pumpkin
- Calcium – found in milk, broccoli, leafy greens
- Phosphorus – found in some fish, yogurt
- Magnesium – found in almonds, cashews, black beans
- Sodium – found in salty foods
- Chloride – found in salt, seaweed
- Potassium – found in bananas, lentils, squash
- Sulfur – found in garlic, onions, eggs
Trace Minerals include:
- Iron – found in spinach, oysters
- Manganese – found in peanuts, pecans, pineapple
- Copper – found in crabs, cashews, liver
- Zinc – found in pumpkin seeds, chickpeas, crabs
- Iodine – found in yogurt, seaweed, cod
- Fluoride – found in water, fruit juice
- Selenium – found in ham, sardines, brazil nuts
How can our Nutritionist on Long Island Help?
At Food & Fitness Pro, we will work with you to come up with personalized meal plans for people who: want to lose weight, have diabetes or pre-diabetes, have high cholesterol, have thyroid disorders, have hypertension, have PCOS or GERD. If you are looking for a nutritionist on Long Island, you’ve come to the right place! Let Food & Fitness Pro help you with your goals and keep your body up to date with the right amounts of macronutrients and micronutrients. Contact us today!