Thanksgiving is behind us and we are now in the thick of the holiday season! You may be feeling overwhelmed with the thoughts about how you’re going to continue to stay in a healthy mindset with all of the upcoming holiday gatherings, leftover and gifted foods and sweets at the office, and extra coercion from friends and family to “just let loose” with food and drinks this time of year. But, take a deep breath because you still have a few weeks before Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and New Years are here. Take this time to regroup and practice being in the present moment. You can get yourself back on track in time for the next approaching holidays.
Here are some Holiday Season tips:
- Meditate for 5-10 minutes per day to take care of your mind and body.
- Make sure you’re drinking enough water during this dry time of year.
- Stick to your normal exercise routine. If you have to miss some days, be proud of yourself for the exercise you are fitting in.
- Don’t be afraid to take a nap.
- Start planning now for the holidays so that you aren’t swamped at the last minute. Plan your meals, find some healthy recipes, and do some shopping.
- Most of us don’t get enough vitamin D during the winter. Consider taking a vitamin D supplement if you need one.
- Stick to your nutrition plan!! Remember – eat every 2-3 hours a healthy well-balanced snack and 1-2 protein/veggie meals per day to keep your appetite, cravings, energy, mood, and sleep in check!! If you decide to splurge – do it and move on. One unhealthy choice does not have to ruin the day, week, or month!